What is an Odd Fellow?
An Odd Fellow bases his/her thoughts and actions on healthy philosophical principles. He/She believes that life is a commitment to improve and elevate the character of humanity through service and example. He/She is humble in a way that he/she never boasts about themselves. He/She knows and accepts his/her strengths and weaknesses and keeps away from badmouthing people and making unreasonable allegations. He/She understands that certain things in life are unavoidable. He/She is aware of the vanity of earthly things, the frailty and inevitable decay of human life and the fact that wealth has no power to stop the sureness of eventual death. He/She then asks the question, “How am I going to spend my life?”
An Odd Fellow is an advocate of FRIENDSHIP and never looks at people with prejudiced eyes or bases his/her judgment on outward appearances. He/She supports the idea that all people irrespective of creed, race, color, nationality, social status, sex, rank and station are brothers and sisters. He/She does not take an undue advantage of his/her power or the weaknesses of those around them. He/She is gentle in behavior and never inflicts pain. He/She avoids impurity in thoughts and unchaste conduct. He/She also knows that he/she should respect themselves by following temperance in his/her desires and fighting against vice of every form, chastity of person, and purity in heart and mind.
An Odd Fellow is an enactor of LOVE in a way that he/she feels jointly responsible for his/her fellowmen and prepared to give attention and help wherever and whenever help is needed. He/She is a person who treats others, especially women and children, with dignity and respect. He/She knows the application of sympathy, sincerity, unselfishness, and generosity. He/She accepts the fact that nothing is perfect but believes that he/she has an obligation to contribute in making the world a better place to live.
An Odd Fellow is a a pursuer of TRUTH and adheres to equality, justice and righteousness. He/She sees searching for truth as searching for clarity in the sense of their life. Every time a small piece of truth is found, he/she will try to use it only in ways where he/she will be able to be true to themselves and his/her fellowmen. Oftentimes, he/she thinks before he/she acts and speaks. He/She knows that, as a human being, it is a fact that he/she can think. He/She gives account to themselves and knows that before he/she starts doing something, he/she can make the choice what to do and can think it over and consider whether the choice was the right one. He/She believes that making good and well-considered choices is called “behaving in a responsible way”.
Odd Fellowship Teaches
- Wise and serious truths and opens up before its members opportunities for useful service.
- Belief in a Supreme Being, the Creator and Preserver of the Universe.
- The lesson of fraternity, that all are of one family and therefore brethren.
- The importance of the principle of Friendship, Love and Truth.
- The privilege and duty of individual sympathy, mutual assistance and every-day service to ones fellows.
- That humanity was intended to be one harmonious structure.
- That each individual is a unit in that God-made temple.
- Its members how to stand on their own feet, yet walk in step with their neighbors.
- The difference between right and wrong.
- That it is more blessed to give than to receive.